2:00AM - 6:00AMSend a message Listen Live
Roads closed as communities prepare to party
The streets of Swansea are gearing up for dozens of street-parties to celebrate the Queen’s Diamond Jubilee next month.
Swansea Council has authorised 33 official road closures to help residents celebrate in style on June 5 when Britain takes a Bank Holiday to enjoy the festivities.
On top of that the city’s Castle Square will become the focal point for community celebrations an entertainment which will see a beacon lit from the battlements of Swansea Castle at 10.15pm on June 4 as well as live broadcasting of events from across the nation from the city centre Big Screen.
Other beacon locations include Hadrian’s Wall where 60 beacons will be lit-up to mark each year of the Queen’s reign. The beacons will be lit in sequence and it’s thought Swansea’s will be lit sometime between 10pm and 10.30pm.
And Swansea Market will be doing its bit with a day of celebrations on June 2 which will include craft workshops so people can decorate their own commemorative souvenirs, facepainting and entertainment.
The jubilee celebrations from London will be shown on Castle Square’s Big Screen from Sunday June 3 to Tuesday June 5.
Swansea Council is behind the Swansea-based events that will also include a Big Lunch at Castle Square on Sunday June 3.
The event is being staged between 11am and 5pm and the Council will be setting up tables and chairs so people can bring their own picnics and enjoy a bit of community spirit in front of events as they unfold on the BBC Big Screen.
Frances Jenkins, Swansea Council’s Strategic Manager for Tourism, Marketing and Events, said: "People need only cast their minds back to the Royal Wedding last summer to realise that occasions of this nature tend to generate a fantastic atmosphere that unites the whole country.
"This is why it’s important Castle Square becomes a focal point of Swansea’s jubilee celebrations where people of all ages can gather to join in the fun and patriotism of an historic event.
"The Big Lunch is being staged at venues across the UK and if people aren’t arranging their own street parties, the Sunday event would be a good opportunity to enjoy a similar atmosphere.”
She added: "The Jubilee weekend promises to be spectacular. Nobody does these things better than the British and the live footage from the Big Screen means local people can very much feel a part of it.”
The deadline to apply for a street closure has been extended to Friday, 25 May.
Road closures are:
1. Victoria Avenue, Mumbles, Sunday 3rd -13:00hrs to 18:00hrs
2. Ocean View Close, Sketty, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
3. Gurnos Road, Gowerton, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
4. Dol Y Coed, Dunvant, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
5. Pencaerfenni Park 17 to 39, Crofty, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
6. Morgan Street, Hafod, Monday 4th - 08:00hrs to 00:00hrs
7. Summerland Lane 7- 37, Upper Killay, Monday 4th - 09:00hrs to 17:00hrs
8. St Peters Road, Newton, Monday 4th - 14:00hrs to 21:00hrs
9. Carnglas Avenue, Sketty, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 18:00hrs
10. Rodney Street, Sandfields, Sunday 3rd - 09:00hrs to 00:00hrs
11. Ashgrove/Limegrove, Killay, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
12. Cedar Crescent, West Cross, Sunday 3rd -10:00hrs to 16:00hrs
13. Pen Y Morfa, Penclawdd, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
14. Caer Crwn, Dunvant, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
15. Beech Crescent, Penyrheol, Monday 4th / Tuesday 5th - 15:00hrs to 00:00hrs
16. Whitegates, Mayals, Sunday 3rd - 09:00hrs to 18:00hrs
17. Heol Trefor, Penlan, Tuesday 5th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
18. Hadland Terrace West Cross, Sunday 3rd - 11:00hrs to 18:00hrs
19. Fifth Avenue, Clase, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
20. Brandy Cove Close,Bishopston, Tuesday 5th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
21. Heol Graigfelen, Clydach, Saturday 2nd -12:00hrs to 22:00hrs
22. Beechwood/Glanbrydan (Rear Lane), Saturday 2nd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
23. Tegid Rd, Mayhill, Tuesday 5th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
24. Caerphilly Avenue, Winch Wen, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
25. Northland Park, Bishopston, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
26. Mill Lane, Llanrhidian, Sunday 3rd -14:00hrs to 20:00hrs
27. Robins Lane, Reynoldston, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
28. Maes Yr Onnen, Morriston, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
29. Gloucester Place, City, Monday 4th - 14:00hrs to 17:00hrs
30. Huntington Way/Rosemary Close, Sketty, Sunday 3rd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
31. Brondeg, Manselton, Saturday 2nd -12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
32. Clos Y Fendrod, Llansamlet, Monday 4th - 12:00hrs to 00:00hrs
33. Lan Manor, Morriston, Monday 4th - 15:00hrs to 21:00hrs