.

Police Name Second Man Killed on Railway

Michael 'Spike' Lewis

Network Rail cooperating with investigation

We now know the name of the second railway worker killed by a passenger train on tracks near Port Talbot yesterday.

British Transport Police say he was 58-year-old Michael Lewis from North Cornelly.

Earlier we learnt Gareth Delbridge, who was 64 and from Kenfig Hill, was the other victim.

Police say they were wearing ear defenders and couldn't hear the oncoming carriages.

A third person was treated for shock, but was not injured.

Network Rail says it's fully co-operating with investigators.

Superintendent Andy Morgan in Cardiff  said: “The initial stages of the investigation suggest that the two men who died had been wearing ear defenders at the time, tragically, could not hear the passenger train approaching." 

He added they are making sure that those who witnessed the traumatic incident, both at the scene and on board the train, receive the necessary support they require.

Passengers were stranded on the train as all lines were blocked between Bridgend and Swansea, as National Rail warned potential travellers to expect disruption until the end of yesterday.

Bill Kelly, route director for Network Rail Wales, said: "We are shocked and distressed to confirm that two members of our team lost their lives  in an accident involving a train.

"Our thoughts are with the families of our colleagues and our members of staff who will be affected by this tragic loss, and we will provide all the support we can."

Transport Secretary Chris Grayling has said he is "deeply saddened" by the accident and that an investigation will take place.

Mick Cash, general secretary of the Rail, Maritime and Transport (RMT) union said: "This is shocking news.

"RMT is attempting to establish the full facts but our immediate reaction is that this is an appalling tragedy and that no-one working on the railway should be placed in the situation that has resulted in the deaths that have been reported.

"As well as demanding answers from Network Rail and a suspension of all similar works until the facts are established, the union will be supporting, our members and their families at this time.

"Our thoughts are with those involved in this incident and their loved ones."

Constituency MP Stephen Kinnock said: "I'm very concerned to see reports of the tragic accident on the rail line between Bridgend and Port Talbot.

"I understand that there may have been two fatalities. This is awful news, and my thoughts are with the families of all concerned."

It comes after a government report on Wednesday showed 147 people were killed at work in England, Scotland and Wales between 2018 and 2019.

Figures showed 16 people were killed in transportation and storage, compared to the 32 people who died in the most dangerous industry which was agriculture, forestry and fishing.

There were 30 fatal injuries in construction, 26 in manufacturing and 18 across wholesale, retail, motor repair, accommodation and food.

The figures revealed 30 of the total deaths between 2018 and 2019 were caused by being struck by a moving vehicle.

More from Local